The Alexa Do Not Disturb (DND) function is an overlooked but incredibly useful feature.
I have Amazon Echo devices in just about every room in my home. I love the announcements and notifications I get on these devices.
However, sometimes you need to disable these notifications so you aren’t disturbed while sleeping or watching a movie, etc.
What does Alexa Do Not Disturb Block?
It is important to know what is blocked and what isn’t when you set Alexa to Do Not Disturb. Most disturbances will be blocked. However, there are critical features that will still work even if your Echo device is set to Do Not Disturb.
Alexa Features Blocked with Do Not Disturb:
- Announcements – When you make an announcement such as, “Alexa..tell everyone dinner is ready”, it typically plays on all Echo devices in your home. This feature is blocked when the device is in Do Not Disturb mode.
- Notifications – Delivery and other types of notifications are blocked.
- Calls / Messages – Telephone calls, text messages and voice messages are blocked.
- Drop-In – You can NOT drop-in on an Alexa device.
- Ring Doorbell Chimes – If you set up your Alexa devices as a Ring Doorbell chime, then the devices will not chime when DND is enabled.
Alexa Features that Still Work with Do Not Disturb:
- Alarms – All one-time and recurring alarms will still ring when your device is in Do Not Disturb. This is perfect for Echo devices in a bedroom.
- Timers – Timers will still notify you when completed.
- Alexa Commands – You can still give verbal commands or questions to Alexa while the device is set to Do Not Disturb and Alexa will respond like normal.
Turn On Alexa Do Not Disturb with the App
The Alexa App gives you the most control when turning on or off Do Not Disturb mode. In the app, you have two options to set for each of your devices.
- Set Do Not Disturb to always be On or Off for the device
- Set Do Not Disturb by schedule for your device
Step 1: Open Echo & Alexa Devices
Click Devices in the bottom right corner of the Alexa app. Then select Echo & Alexa devices in the top right corner.
Step 2: Select Echo Device to Edit
Choose the Alexa device you want to edit. The Do Not Disturb feature is based on device by device setup.
Step 3: Select Do Not Disturb in Device Settings
Scroll through the list of settings and select the Do Not Disturb menu.
Step 4: Turn On or Off Do Not Disturb
Here you have two options:
- You can tap the toggle switch to turn on or off Do Not Disturb
- You can set Do Not Disturb on a schedule – just set your daily start and end times in the app
I love using scheduled Do Not Disturb on the Echo Dot’s in my girls rooms at nighttime. They won’t be disturbed if someone rings the doorbell or a notification is received after they go to bed.
Enable Alexa Do Not Disturb by Voice
You can quickly turn on or off Do Not Disturb mode by voice. This is a great option if you are lying down for a quick nap and you don’t want to be interrupted. Remember, your alarms and timers will still sound to wake you up.
Alexa will say “I won’t disturb you” and then flash purple to indicate the feature was turned on.
Alexa will say “Do not disturb is now off”. All announcements, messages and notifications will play on this device.
Do Not Disturb on Alexa Screen Devices
Alexa devices with screens have a quick toggle to turn Do Not Disturb on or off.
Simply swipe down on the Alexa screen and you will see the option.
Set Do Not Disturb with Alexa Routine
You can also use a Routine to enable or disable Do Not Disturb. An Alexa Routine is a series of actions that occur when the Routine is triggered by an event or voice command.
An example situation is your Good Night routine. You could easily set up a Good Night routine that is started when you say “Alexa, good night”. This routine could turn off all of your lights and set the Echo device in your bedroom to Do not Disturb.
There are dozens of options and scenarios to use this feature in Routines.
You can set Do Not Disturb in your Routine using the following steps:
- Add Action
- Device Settings
- Do Not Disturb
- Adjust DND Settings
Is Do Not Disturb Enabled?
Alexa lets you know if Do Not Disturb is enabled.
If Do Not Disturb is enabled on your Alexa device, then the light ring will flash purple after every interaction. The purple light ring means that DND is currently enabled on the device. Just ask any question (what time is it, etc.) and see if the light ring is purple afterwards.
P.S. Please leave a comment below to ask a question, help someone else or share your experiences. Thanks!