Echo – A Great Smart Speaker
The Amazon Echo is a great speaker for your home. Alexa can answer all of your questions and the device is “good enough” at playing music for most people. The ability to create a stereo pair of speakers, add a sub-woofer and play multi-room music really makes the Echo a great home audio solution.
Use an external speaker to improve the quality of sound and music or to extend the Echo to areas it normally cannot go.
However, there are a few situations where it makes sense to add an external speaker to your Echo. For example, you can use an external speaker to improve the quality of sound or to extend the Echo to areas it normally cannot go. Luckily, Amazon has made it very easy to add or link external speakers to your Echo or Echo Dot.
Best Echo Dot Speakers
Here is a list of speakers that work great with the Amazon Echo Dot.
|Top||Sonos||Sonos One SL - Amazon Alexa Preferred Speaker, Premium WIFI Connection, Expandable for Whole Home Audio, Great Smart Home Integration||Best Premium Wireless Speaker||Amazon Price|
|Top||Cambridge Soundworks||OontZ Angle 3 Ultra - Stereo Pair 2 Speakers, Retains constant connection to Echo, Small and good looking form factor||Best Value Bluetooth Speaker||Amazon Price|
|Top||Aiwa||Aiwa Exos-9 - Retains constant connection to Echo, Stereo Pair 2 Speakers, 200 watts of power||Best Premium Bluetooth Speaker||Amazon Price|
|Top||JBL||JBL Clip 3 - IPX7 Completely Waterproof, 10 Hour Battery Life (less charging), Auto “No Use” Shutoff, Over 10 Colors||Best Shower Speaker||Amazon Price|
|Top||JBL||JBL Charge 3 - Charge Port to Connect Echo Input, 20 Hour Battery Life, Link Multiple Speakers, IPX7 Completely Waterproof||Best Outdoor Speaker||Amazon Price|
When to Use an External Speaker with Echo
Amazon produces several models of Echo devices. In many cases, these devices don’t need an external speaker. The Echo and Echo Show provide the quality and loudness that is good enough in most cases. However, if you want premium audio or if you want to extend Alexa to unique areas in your home, then an external speaker is the perfect option.
In this article, we will explore three situations where you should add an external speaker to your Echo or Echo Dot.
- Premium Audio – Use high quality Bluetooth speakers or “Alexa Preferred Speakers” to automatically play music through premium, high quality speakers in your home.
- Bathrooms or Showers – Your Echo device isn’t waterproof. Use a Bluetooth shower speaker to listen to music, podcasts and audiobooks with a waterproof or water resistant speaker.
- Decks and Patios – Extend the power of Alexa and all the available music outdoors.
The Echo devices can connect to virtually any Bluetooth speaker. However, you need to buy a Bluetooth speaker with the right features to avoid frustrating disconnects and inconsistent performance.
Best Premium Speaker for Echo Dot
Use a premium wireless or Bluetooth speaker to increase the quality of sound and music on your Echo. The Echo Dot is an amazing smart home speaker, but it lacks the power and features to provide quality music throughout your home. The Echo and Echo Show have decent sound but they still don’t provide the quality that is available with some speakers.
Best Wireless Speaker for Echo Dot
The best premium wireless speaker for your Echo is the Sonos. If you want premium sound with a system that can grow with your smart home, then you want Sonos wireless speakers. After trying a few options, I choose Sonos for my home and I have no doubts that it is the best wireless speaker system for a smart home.
I choose Sonos for my home and I have no doubts that it is the best wireless speaker system for a smart home.
Here are four key reasons for choosing Sonos speakers:
- Premium Sound – Sonos speakers have a great reputation even when audiophiles that have a critical ear and demand the best. Sonos makes several products of varying size and capability so you can choose the perfect speaker for your situation.
- Trusted and Stable – Sonos is a trusted and stable company that doesn’t abandon older products. This is a speaker you can invest in and add to your home over time. I started out with one Play 1 speaker paired with an Echo Dot. Now I have have six Play 1s or One SLs, a Sonos Beam Soundbar and a Sonos Subwoofer.
- Echo Preferred Speaker – Sonos can be used as an Echo Preferred Speaker. This means that you can wirelessly pair the speaker to your Echo and it will automatically play music on the Sonos preferred speaker or speaker group.
- Smart Home Speaker – Sonos is a true smart home Speaker that can integrate with several devices. For example, you can pair the Sonos speaker with SmartThings for voice announcements related to your smart home.
Best Premium Wireless Speaker
- Brilliant sound - get Rich, room-filling sound with the all-new Sonos one SL, and control It with the Sonos app, Apple airplay 2, and more.
- For every room - the compact design fits just about any space. Put it on your kitchen countertop or tuck it away on your office bookshelf. Its humidity resistant so you can even put it in the bathroom.
- Apple airplay 2 - stream sound directly from your iPhone or iPad and ask Siri to play Apple Music.
- Stereo sound with two - Pair with Sonos one or another one SL in the same room for stereo separation and more detailed sound. Use a pair as rear home theater Surrounds with play bar, play base, or beam.
- Build your system - easily connect Sonos speakers in different rooms over Wi-Fi to create a home sound system that brings every room and everyone together.
- Easy to use - setup takes minutes, and control is simple with the Sonos app and Airplay2.
The Sonos Play 1 is my choice for the best premium wireless speaker for your Echo or Echo Dot. I love it because it seamlessly integrates as an “Alexa Preferred Speaker”, has top notch sound and is truly a smart home speaker.
- Alexa Preferred Speaker
- Premium Sound
- True Smart Home Speaker
Also Consider: Bose SoundTouch 10
Best Bluetooth Speaker for Echo Dot
Your Echo device can connect to any Bluetooth speaker, but you need to consider a few things to ensure the best experience. Additionally, the best choice for inside your home is different than the best choice for outside or other areas.
Here is a list of features to consider when selecting the best Bluetooth speaker to use with your Echo Dot in the home.
- Constant Power – The Bluetooth speaker you choose should not have a low power shutoff feature. Unfortunately, many speakers have this feature which gives a bad experience when connected to your Echo. If a Bluetooth speaker shuts off, then you will likely have words cut-off when it is reactivated by the Echo. For example, instead of hearing it is “It is 5:30 PM” you will only hear is is “…30 PM”. The first part of the response will be cutoff as the speaker comes out of low power or sleep mode.
- LED Lights – A lot of Bluetooth speakers have LED lights to indicate that the device power is on. These lights can be very distracting if they blink or if the speaker is used in a bedroom. You should consider this based on how and where the speaker will be used in your home.
- Stereo Pairing – For premium audio, you should consider speakers that can be stereo paired for better sound and music. This isn’t a feature you will use with every device, but there are areas in your home where a stereo pair of speakers will greatly increase the sound quality.
Best Value Echo Bluetooth Speaker
- SUPERIOR SOUND QUALITY WITH RICH FULL BASS - Our digital audio processor pumps up the bass and enhances the clarity of the mids and highs; 14 Watts of power delivers surprisingly loud room filling volume from the dual precision stereo drivers and proprietary bass radiator; distortion-free stereo sound even at max volume - the perfect home speaker and travel speaker
- 100 - FOOT BLUETOOTH RANGE - Play up to 100 feet away from your device; our advanced antenna design with Bluetooth 4.2 provides fast connection and incredible wireless Bluetooth range of up to 100 unobstructed feet from your Amazon Echo, Amazon Echo Dot, iPhone, iPad, Mac, Samsung Galaxy, Samsung Note, Smartphone, Computer, Laptop and Tablet. Connects quickly and easily
- PLAY YOUR MUSIC TO TWO OONTZ ANGLE 3 ULTRA SPEAKERS - Wirelessly connect two OontZ Angle 3 ULTRA speakers together, one speaker plays left the channel and the other plays the right, for incredible stereo separation; set each speaker to play full stereo and place the speakers in different areas up to 100 unobstructed feet apart. To play the audio from a video, your TV or device needs to be connected to one of the OontZ Angle 3 ULTRA speakers using the 3.5mm audio cable; Speakers sold separately
- WEATHERPROOF SPLASHPROOF RAINPROOF IPX6 - The Perfect Shower speaker - IPX6 certified to resist water spray and splash; cannot withstand being partially or fully submerged
- PLAY UP TO 20 HOURS ON A SINGLE CHARGE - Play from morning till night with up to 20 hour playtime; TALK TO SIRI FROM YOUR OONTZ ANGLE 3 ULTRA just press the speaker and talk to Siri when connected over Bluetooth to your iPhone or iPad; COMES WITH LONG 6ft MICRO-USB CHARGING CABLE and a 3.5mm audio cable; Official OontZ Angle 3 ULTRA Carry Case sold separately on Amazon
The OontZ Angle 3 Ultra is the best speaker for your Echo Dot. The speaker checks all of the boxes for the criteria above. The sound quality is surprisingly good and you can pair two for even better stereo sound. I use this in the garage and the kids rooms. Great Value!
- Stereo Pair 2 Speakers
- Keeps Constant Connection to Echo
- Dim LED Perfect for Bedroom
Also Consider: Tribit XSound Go
Best Premium Echo Bluetooth Speaker
- IHOME-STEREO SOUND, INSIDE OR OUT - With 200 watts of continuous power and 5 drivers, including a 6.5 dual-voice coil subwoofer, the Exos-9 delivers amazing stereo sound with deep bass, crisp treble and balanced mids. Distortion-free, even at volumes that will draw the attention of the local authorities.
- ALL-DAY BATTERY LIFE - Your guests will pass out before the Exos-9 does! Keep it plugged in at home or enjoy up to 9 HOURS of incredible unplugged sound with the included quick-swap Lithium-ion battery pack. Perfect for tailgates, camping, backyard fun, the beach, fishing, or any other outdoor activity where nature forgot to install power outlets.
- CONNECT IN SECONDS - Connect to your iPhone, iPad, any Android device, any Kindle tablet, Windows device, PC, or Mac with our with aptX and A2DP support. Android NFC also supported. 3.5mm audio jack for direct connection.
- ULTIMATE CONTROL OVER YOUR MUSIC - Crank the bass, mids, or highs with the 5-band onboard graphic equalizer. Use one of 4 available pre-set options or fine tune the EQ to your liking. The customizable EQ makes the Exos-9 portable speaker perfect for every genre of music, podcasts and audiobooks.
- THE AIWA PROMISE - We proudly stand behind our products. We offer a 60-Day RISK-FREE SATISFACTION GUARANTEE and a 2-year WARRANTY on the Exos-9. If you’re not completely thrilled, send it back for a full refund, no questions asked. We’ll even pay for return shipping.
The Aiwa Exos-9 is a premium Bluetooth speaker that works well with your Echo or Echo Dot. With 200 watts of power and 5 drivers, this speaker provides premium sound at a premium price.
- Stereo Pair 2 Speakers
- Keeps Constant Connection to Echo
- 200 Watts of Power
Best Alexa Shower Speaker
Bring your music, podcasts and audiobooks to the shower with a Bluetooth shower speaker. Amazon doesn’t currently make a waterproof speaker, but you can easily pair your Echo with a waterproof Bluetooth speaker that is perfect for the bath or shower.
BONUS:These speakers are perfect for hiking, camping and other outdoor activities. Grab it from your shower before you go and get twice the benefit from one speaker.
Four things to consider with your Echo Bluetooth shower speaker:
- Battery Life – Your Bluetooth shower speaker will run on a battery. You want a speaker that will give you a lot of play time before you have to remove it from the shower for a recharge.
- Auto Turn Off – This is a device that will only be used when you are in the bath or shower. In this case, you want a speaker that will automatically turn off when it hasn’t been used. Auto turn off will conserve the battery and allow you to hear sound on the connected Echo device.
- Waterproof – This is obvious, but be aware of what you buy. Some speakers can only be splashed while other speakers can be submerged in water.
- Price – You want a speaker that is a great value. The shower speaker should have good sound with all of the qualities mentioned above. Don’t blow your budget on a higher price speaker since it will only be used minimally.
Leave a voice remote in your bathroom. Connect your Bluetooth shower speaker with an Echo in another room and control it with the voice remote.
I’m going to give two recommendations for the best shower speaker. The best comes at a premium price, but the value pick is really good too.
- JBL Clip 3 – The best sound and the device will automatically power off when it isn’t in use (even is connected to your Echo device via Bluetooth).
- Vtin Q1 – Half the price and good sound. The device will automatically power off, but only after you tell Alexa to disconnect Bluetooth. A little less convenient but not a huge hassle.
Best Bluetooth Shower Speaker
- Sound To Go: Never leave awesome sound at home again. Clip it with the built-in carabiner, press play and make the moment pop.
- 10 Hour Play Time: A little sparkle goes a long way. With a 10 hour battery life, you can listen to even the longest playlists.
- Water Proof: A speaker and a submersible in one. Immerse yourself in sound that’s not afraid of a little H2O.
The JBL Clip 3 is a great shower speaker. Plus it is perfect for hiking, camping or other outdoor activities. Automatically turns off when not playing. A great speaker with a higher price.
- IPX7 Fully Waterproof
- 10 Hours of Playtime
- 3.3 Watts of Output
- Mini Size & Amazing Battery Life: This mini bluetooth speaker built-in li-ion big rechargeable battery guarantees up to 10 hours playtime in 70% volume. Vtin portable Bluetooth speaker can totally free your worry about out of power when travel
- IP45 Waterproof Speaker for outdoor and shower: IP45 ensures dustproof and waterproof. However, it is not recommended to immerse directly in water. Note: Please close the rubber plug at the charging interface when using
- Advanced HD Sound with 8W Driver: 8W high-performance driver delivers a crystal-clear stereo sound with rich bass, Vtin shower Bluetooth speaker is louder than other shower speakers, which is loud enough to completely cover the ambient noise!
- Stable Bluetooth Connectivity and Friendly Design: Compared to other bluetooth speakers, the upgraded Bluetooth 4.2 has a stable signal and high transmission rate within 33 feet. It also have a sturdy lanyard that allows you easy to hang on everywhere
- Wide Compatibility and Support for Micro SD/TF Cards: Vtin Q1 Bluetooth shower speakers are universally compatible with any device via Bluetooth or Aux lines such as iPhone, iPad, Samsung, PC, Macbook or even Echo, also With micro SD/TF card support
The Vtin Q1 is a great speaker with a price that is half of the premium choice. It is waterproof with an IPX5 rating (perfect for handling splashes in the shower). You have to manually power off or tell Alexa to disconnect Bluetooth.
- IPX5 Waterproof Rating
- 10 Hours of Playtime
- 3 Watts of Output
Best Outdoor Echo Speaker
Make your deck or patio even better with Alexa. You have several options for setting up your Amazon Echo music, podcasts and audiobooks outside.
“The ultimate goal is to have voice control of your music while you relax on your deck, porch or patio.”
You can take your music outside with any Bluetooth speaker. However, the ultimate goal is to have voice control of your music while you relax on your deck, porch or patio. There are two ways to extend your Echo music outdoors and have voice control of that music.
- Speaker and Voice Remote – Use any outdoor Bluetooth speaker and an Echo voice remote to control your music.
- Portable Echo Input Setup – Use an Echo Input and a Bluetooth speaker with charge capabilities for a completely portable, hands free voice setup.
The speaker with voice remote path gives you the most options, but you don’t have full hands free control. The portable Echo Input setup is completely hands free, but you are limited to a few specific speakers that have charge capabilities.
Outdoor Bluetooth Speaker and Echo Voice Remote
The simplest outdoor speaker setup is simply using a Bluetooth speaker connected to your Echo device. All Amazon Echos can connect to an external Bluetooth speaker, which can be placed on your deck or patio.
Bluetooth Range – Look for a speaker that has a long Bluetooth range (100 feet). Your Bluetooth speaker will be connected to your Echo or Echo Dot in the home. You want a speaker that can easily reach your Echo when you place it outside.
However, you have to be near your Echo or Echo Dot to control your music with voice commands. This can be resolved by pairing an Alexa Voice Remote to your device. Take the voice remote with you outside and speak a command into the remote when you want to change the music, get the forecast or check the time.
Best Outdoor Echo Bluetooth Speaker
- Wireless Bluetooth streaming
- 15 hours of playtime
- IPX7 waterproof
- Jul. Connect+
- Durable fabric and rugged material
The JBL Xtreme 2 is a semi-portable speaker perfect for your deck, porch or patio. It has great battery life and sound that will fill the area (4 drivers and 2 bass radiators). Control your Echo remotely with an Alexa Voice Remote.
- 15 Hours of Playtime
- IPX7 Fully Waterproof
- Wirelessly Connect Multiple Speakers
Also Consider: Bose SoundLink Revolve+
Portable Echo Input Setup
The Echo Input can turn any speaker into a voice activated Alexa device. Pair the Echo Input with an outdoor Bluetooth speaker with charge capability and you have a completely portable setup for your deck, porch or patio.
Look for a Bluetooth speaker with the following features:
- Charge Capability – The key feature needed in your outdoor Bluetooth Echo speaker is a charge capability. Several speakers include a USB charging port that can be used to power your Echo Input.
- Watts – Your speaker will be used outside so it needs to be loud enough to hear over the wind, lawnmowers and other noises.
- Stereo Pairing – The ability to link two or more speakers together will allow you to extend the speakers around your deck with premium sound.
Just pair an Echo Input with a speaker below to build your portable Echo speaker. Take it anywhere that you have Wi-Fi or Mobile internet.
- Echo Input adds Alexa to an external speaker and connects via 3.5 mm audio cable or Bluetooth.
- Can hear you from across the room—even when music is playing. Echo Input is also designed around your privacy. You can press the microphone off button to electronically disconnect the microphones.
- Stream Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM, and more on your favorite speaker.
- Just ask Alexa to play a song, read the news, or check the weather and traffic.
- Set alarms and timers, add items to your to-do list, and control compatible smart home devices.
- Calling and Drop In via Bluetooth is currently not supported.
- Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more.
- Slim, low-profile design fits almost anywhere.
Best Bluetooth Speakers to Pair with Echo Input
- Bluetooth - Wirelessly connect up to 3 smartphones or tablets to the speaker and take turns playing powerful stereo sound.
- Battery type : Lithium-ion Polymer (22.2Wh)2) 20 hours of playtime(varies by volume level and content)
- IPX7 Waterproof
- Take crystal clear calls from your speaker with the touch of a button thanks to the noise and echo-cancelling speakerphone.
- Build your own ecosystem by connecting multiple JBL Connect enabled speakers together to amplify the listening experience.
The JBL Charge 3 is perfect for pairing with an Echo Input. It has a built in charge feature, great battery life and incredible sound. Link multiple speakers wirelessly around your deck! The Echo Input and JBL Charge 3 make the best portable Echo setup.
- Built in Charge Feature (Powers Echo Input)
- 20 Hour Battery Life
- IPX7 Fully Waterproof
- IPX7 Waterproof: Really waterproof! AOMAIS Go has top level waterproof able to withstand full immersion of up to 33 feet for 30 minutes. Other speakers may claim water resistance but can only defend against the smallest splashes. AOMAIS Go is protected enough to go on, its dustproof, snowproof, mudproof, waterproof or even being dropped. (Note: The upgraded V5.0 AOMAIS GO cannot be paired with the old V4.2 AOMAIS GO)
- AOMAIS Go Makes the Party: Clear, rich sound that fills the room indoors and performs outdoors. Easily connect any device with a playlist to have continuous sound for any occasion. Tablets, cellphones sync in a snap with Bluetooth 5.0. Works great with iPhones, iPad, Samsung, HTC. Wired connection with PC, TV and other non-Bluetooth devices with 3.5mm audio jack. Use AOMAIS Go for hands-free calling.
- Booming Bass and Full Volume: Get 30W sound with AOMAIS Go’s two 15 watt full-range drivers & two 10-watt tweeter, and two passive radiators. Super bass booms with less than 1% total harmonic distortion. 40W volume level not enough? Easily pair two speakers, creating left and right channels, for a powerful 80W stereo surround sound. Don’t sacrifice good look, performance that holds up to even the toughest use. A perfect gift for music lover with an active lifestyle.
- Long Play Time, Fast Charge: Get the play time you want with a 10000mAh rechargeable battery that can go for up to 40-Hour (At 50% volume, playtime varies according to volume level and audio content) Quick charge gets back to full in about 4 hours. Emergency power supply prevents fadeouts. You can even use the AOMAIS Go to charge your AOMAIS Sport II speaker or tablets, smartphone in a pinch, no need to worry about your devices dying when you enjoy your music
- What You Get: Comes with AOMAIS Go Bluetooth 5.0 speaker (Note: Due to new design of the logo, items will be shipping out randomly from two versions), a Micro USB charging cable, AUX cable, Quick Start Guide. Our Worry-Free 12 Month Warranty plus our lifetime customer service makes your purchase absolutely risk-free.
The AOMAIS Go is a good choice speaker to pair with your Echo Input. It has a built in charger to power the Echo Input, 30 Watts of power, and a rugged design perfect for outdoors.
- Built in Charge Feature (Powers Echo Input)
- Up to 30 Hours Playtime
- IPX7 Fully Waterproof
Make Your Echo Better
Check out these resources to make your Echo Speaker into an even better device:
- Awesome Echo Dot Accessories (List) – Check out this list of accessories to customize, personalize and make your Echo Dot better.
- Echo Preferred Speaker (Guide) – Check out this guide to make your Echo automatically play music on a preferred speaker or speaker group.
- Alexa, Turn on The Lights (Guide) – A quick guide on how to setup Alexa voice control of lights in your home.
P.S. Please leave a comment below to ask a question, help someone else or share your experiences. Thanks!
2 thoughts on “Best Speaker for Echo Dot”
love your site by the way. I was wondering for the Sonos One SL and the JBL Xtreme 2…
When i hook both the Sonos up as a Preferred Speaker to my Echo Dot, am i able to randomly play songs using Airplay 2 on my iphone and then when i disconnect AirPlay, will it default back to being the Preferred Speaker to my Echo Dot?
And For the JBL Bluetooth Speaker when its hooked up to a Echo device via Bluetooth…since the JBL can connect to multiple Bluetooth devices…when i want to play a song locally from my phone…then i i disconnect….will it default back to being the Bluetooth option of my Echo device ?
You should be able to use the Sonos ONe with Airplay 2 and still have it operate as the preferred speaker with your Echo Dot. I don’t have an IPhone so I can’t test this, but it is consistent with how I use my Sonos.
For the JBL, you might have to say “Connect to Bluetooth” from your Echo to make it reconnect.