A good smart garage door opener allows you to control your garage by voice.
The Chamberlain MyQ Garage Opener is one of the best and most popular devices on the market. But there are a few important questions to answer:
- Does MyQ work with Google Home, Google Assistant, or both?
- Does MyQ charge a monthly fee to connect with Google?
- What garage door openers work with Google Home?
Does MyQ Work with Google Home?
The Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door opener does not work with Google Home. However, you can use MyQ with Google Assistant.
After connecting MyQ to Google Assistant, you can close the garage door or get the status of the garage door by voice. Just say, “OK Google, ask MyQ to close the garage door”.
How do I Connect MyQ to Google Assistant?
There are two primary ways to connect the MyQ Garage Door opener to Google Assistant.
- Connect using MyQ Subscription Service (Currently Free)
- Connect using IFTTT (Preferred)
Both methods of connecting MyQ to Google Assistant allow you to close your garage door by voice. However, the IFTTT method is simpler than the MyQ Subscription Service.
Unfortunately, you can’t open the garage door by voice with either of these options. MyQ doesn’t allow this mostly for security reasons.
Option 1 – MyQ Google Assistant Subscription Service
The MyQ Google Assistant Subscription is typically a paid service ($10 annually). However, MyQ is offering this service for free at this time.
There are two steps to use the MyQ Google Assistant Subscription.
- Connect MyQ to Google Assistant in the app
- Subscribe to the Google Assistant service on the MyQ website
Don’t forget the second step or you will just get a notification in Google Assistant that this is a paid feature.
Step 1: Connect MyQ to Google Assistant in the App
It’s a simple process to connect MyQ to Google Assistant.
- Open Google Assistant and click the “Compass” in the bottom right corner
- Type MyQ in the search bar and select the MyQ app
- Click “Link” and enter your MyQ credentials to allow Google Assistant to control your MyQ devices
Step 2: Subscribe to Google Assistant MyQ Subscription
MyQ requires this step because they want the option to charge for this service in the future. Previously, they charged $10 per year to allow you to link Google Assistant with MyQ (CRAZY). However, the service is currently free and it has been that way for a while.
- Navigate to https://www.myq.com/google-assistant
- Scroll down the page and click “Activate Subscription”
- Login to your account and complete the transaction
Don’t forget to perform this step. Most people that have issues forget to activate the MyQ subscription service for Google Assistant.
MyQ Voice Commands for Google Assistant Subscription
After connecting MyQ to Google Assistant, you can use the following commands to control or get the status of your garage door.
- OK Google, ask MyQ to close the garage door
- You will likely be prompted with “Which Door” even if you only have one garage door (It’s a clunky integration)
- OK Google, ask MyQ if the garage door is open
Option 2 – Connect Google Assistant to MyQ with IFTTT
I prefer to use the IFTTT integration to control MyQ with Google Assistant. The voice commands are easier to use. You can simply say “OK Google, close garage door”. You don’t have to invoke MyQ or tell it which door to close.
The only downside is that you can’t ask for the status of the garage door. This would require the Google Assistant Service setup described above.
Steps to Connect Google Assistant to MyQ with IFTTT
- Login to IFTTT and create a new applet
- Click “Explore” in the upper right corner
- Click “Create” next to Make Your Own From Scratch
- Click the + Sign for the IF Trigger
- Search for Google Assistant
- Select “Say a Simple Phrase” trigger
- Enter “Close Garage” or your preferred statement as the voice command
- Press Create Trigger
- Click the + Sign for the THEN THAT Action
- Search for MyQ
- Select “Close Door” as the action
- Choose your garage door
- Press Create Action
- Name your IFTTT MyQ Applet and Create
Now you can simply say “OK Google, close garage” and the IFTTT applet will trigger. This is much more user friendly than having to say “Ask MyQ” before every command.
Garage Door Openers that Work with Google Home
The Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door opener is a great device. It is simple to install, works with almost all garage doors and it is reliable. I use MyQ in my home.
However, you should consider other smart garage door openers if you want to open your garage door by voice.
The best alternative is the NEXX Smart Garage Opener. NEXX is a WiFI garage door controller that integrates with Google Assistant, Alexa and Siri. The NEXX device can also integrate with SmartThings for advanced smart home automation.
Make sure you Reset your MyQ Hub to factory settings before returning or selling it.
The NEXX app and installation are not as clean and easy as MyQ, but it is a solid device.
MyQ and Google Assistant – Conclusion
MyQ works well with Google Assistant, but you can’t add it as a device in Google Home.
MyQ is a great garage door opener to pair with Google Assistant if you primarily want the option to close your garage door by voice. If opening your garage door by voice is a must-have, then you should consider the NEXX Smart Garage Opener.
I use the MyQ Smart Garage Door opener with Alexa in my home. This is a great set up for me and I can include MyQ in my Alexa routines.
P.S. Please leave a comment below to ask a question, help someone else or share your experiences. Thanks!